[MPlayer-dev-eng] mplayer's size

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Feb 13 16:41:28 CET 2016

On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 04:58:22PM +0200, Lauri Kasanen wrote:
> My ticket about mplayer's excessive size increase was closed as
> invalid. However, a 18mb binary is in no way acceptable, it results in
> a startup time of several seconds with cold caches. Mplayer used to be
> 13mb in 2013, and 8mb in 2011.

Uh, if you mind the size you should maybe link against system
FFmpeg though, as that is most of the size.
Admittedly that is not necessarily the most recommended configuration,
but that would be most effective.

> - there's almost 1mb of eh_frame bloat, completely unnecessary in a
> release-build C program

Agreed, I admit I only ever looked inside the sections, not at the
sections themselves.

> - the unnecessary encoding functions are present in mplayer

That is most likely an incorrect assumption.
There are among other things video filters using encoding functions.
It is possible that some are indeed not necessary, or not necessary
with certain configurations, but in general they are in fact needed.

> - yet, the display functions are not present in mencoder (good, but why
> half-way like this?)

Disregarding the above, whatever was easy and someone decided
to do at some point.

> Most of rela.dyn seems to be from variables, likely from .data.

Large tables with pointers.
Not compiling as PIE should avoid most of them I'd guess.