[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] The future of some old vo drivers

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Feb 8 23:38:02 CET 2016

On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 11:28:14PM +0100, Roberto Togni wrote:
> - vo_vidix, related vos (xover, xvidix, vosub_vidix, winvidix, cvidix).
> Can anybody confirm if they still works? I have no compatible card. The
> vos compile correctly. Do we have any helper working on modern systems?
> The dhahelper from /vidix says that it's compatible with 2.2 and 2.4
> kernels; does the svgalib helper still exist?

You can run as root and don't need any helper.
I think svgalib is pretty much dead, I think it kind of
died out with 64 bit systems.
Apart from that vidix did work on 64 bit systems at least,
and I don't really see much reason for it to break except
the helpers to run as non-root.
Though I wouldn't trust those helpers to not open giant security
holes anyway, so there is limited point in using them.
But nowadays I don't really have compatible hardware anymore.