[MPlayer-dev-eng] Bit rot

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Fri Sep 11 11:22:55 CEST 2015

Moin,

With the upcoming release, has anyone done some regression testing?
I noticed over the last 2-3 years an increasing number of files that
fail playing. What's worse, using an MPlayer version that is a year
or two old plays them fine. These files vary from old divx+mp3 in avi,
over mp4+mp3 in ogm to h.264+aac in mkv. The bugs manifstest themselves
in various ways, A/V desync that increases to several seconds within
a minute or two, flickering subs, sudden end-of-file in the middle
of the file and of course, the usual crashes. My usual way to deal
with this issues is just to take one of my old compiles of MPlayer
and use that. In most cases it is enough to go back a year to get
smooth and "bug free" playback.

MPlayer is still my favorite video player, and I really would hate
to see it go down the drain.

			Attila Kinali

use without that foundation.