[MPlayer-dev-eng] AMD E450 VDPAU GPU lockup triggered by r37367/r37368 changes.

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri May 1 20:30:10 CEST 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 12:42:33AM +0200, wallak at free.fr wrote:
> Dear All,
>
>   After extensive tests; I've found that the r37367/r37368 changes trigger a high likely GPU lock on my AMD E450 while using VDPAU. The machine may require a reboot once this happens.

Can you be specific? I mean, it must be either r37367 or r37368, so
which one?
r37368 should have been completely cosmetic.
Does this happen with all video files or only specific ones? (both
containers and codecs are interesting here)
How does the -v -v or so log printout change between those versions?
Basically this change mostly should avoid a double-initialization,
it could be that such a double-initialization prevented certain driver
issues from showing.
But it could also be that the aspect is not slightly different and this
causes an issue.
Or there was a mistake in that change and it e.g. caused some things
to not be properly initialized.
Also, is that compiled against the internal FFmpeg or possibly some
external version?

>   Have you an idea about the underlying issue? Is there other configurations affected?

Probably not a useful answer for you, but strictly speaking the issue is absolutely clear:
Driver or hardware bug/issues. There is simple no other true underlying bug for
anything that causes hangs, kernel panics, crashes etc.