[MPlayer-dev-eng] [FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg/MPlayer/rtmpdump possibly searching for a new server and hosting

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Fri Jul 17 15:30:26 CEST 2015

On 15 Jul, Michael Niedermayer wrote :
> longer awnser,
> videolan IIUC would be willing to host some of our services
> on their existing server but this would require a "quite a bit" of
> work. videolan uses LXC we do not.

Indeed, and there is a good reason for that, called security.

> also videolan of course would have to agree to everything, its their
> server of course ...

VideoLAN has very powerfull machines, connected in a correct datacenter,
with a contract, that will outlive any single member.

Don't take it bad, but seeing the discussions, and the way you manage
your roots and services migration, you don't seem to care that much
about being correctly deployed, but to do it fast.

LXC provides service separation and avoid security issues to propagate,
and allows also reuse of VideoLAN infrastructure, if needed (SMTP, same
Web proxy, etc...). It allows VLC and non-VLC services to not conflict,
and allows people to have only access to one LXC.

I understand that you do not care about such security, but we do.

With my kindest regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - +33 672 704 734