[MPlayer-dev-eng] Bit rot

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Tue Dec 15 22:57:58 CET 2015

Hi Attila,

since I obviously forgot to reply...  :(

On 2015-09-19 10:02 +0000, compn wrote:
> Attila Kinali <attila <at> kinali.ch> writes:
> > With the upcoming release, has anyone done some regression testing?
> > I noticed over the last 2-3 years an increasing number of files that
> > fail playing. What's worse, using an MPlayer version that is a year
> > or two old plays them fine. These files vary from old divx+mp3 in avi,
> > over mp4+mp3 in ogm to h.264+aac in mkv. The bugs manifstest themselves
> > in various ways, A/V desync that increases to several seconds within
> > a minute or two, flickering subs, sudden end-of-file in the middle
> > of the file and of course, the usual crashes. My usual way to deal
> > with this issues is just to take one of my old compiles of MPlayer
> > and use that. In most cases it is enough to go back a year to get
> > smooth and "bug free" playback.
>
> Sorry for late response, I'm traveling.
>
> I've ran into a few bugs and forgot to report them. Can you link to some
> samples that regressed? I'm also using old mplayer version because of
> similar bugs in my files.
>
> The eof Bug might be due to the change that mplayer decodes the file from
> audio first now instead of video? Sorry I forgot the revision.
>
> Crashes sound new though. Every time I setup a new mingw env, it corrupts my
> hard drives. So if anyone wants to run a mingw build enviro box with ssh for
> me, that would help me test bugs..

  Both of you please file reports on the bug tracker. It is the
only chance to track issues and to detect and fix regressions.

  I think there are currently really neither enough current
reports, nor enough people working on the reports.

  So I am closing with two wishes to all of you :)

  1) Report issues on the tracker when you see them
  2) If you have time look through the reports and try to reproduce
     (ask for more info if needed/analyse/fix). Only saying you can
     or cannot reproduce with current mplayer alone is worth a lot.

Thanks to everyone helping,
  Alexander