[MPlayer-dev-eng] VAAPI/X11 video output driver

Mark Thompson sw at jkqxz.net
Tue Dec 1 23:51:32 CET 2015

On 30/11/15 21:01, Roberto Togni wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 16:55:48 +0000
> Mark Thompson <sw at jkqxz.net> wrote:

> [...]
> Good. I'm not even sure that supporting H263 is meaningful at all.

Similarly, but it's there in libva and ffmpeg so presumably it works for
someone.  The support here is trivial, so I'm inclined to just leave it
in even if noone can test it.

> I'm not sure about this.
> I'm not happy about having two hwaccel systems (VAAPI and VDPAU) with
> different commandline invocations.
>
>  From an usability point of view it's good to not having to force the
> codec, but I would keep anyway an enable switch for hw decoding (so
> using something like -hwdec vaapi -vo vaapi). This will easily allow to
> skip hw decoding if it's not working properly; also since hwdec is atm
> not compatible with filters and such, user will experience unexpected
> failures if hwdec is enabled by default behind their backs.
>
> Forcing vo may be enough, but the hwaccel vo (both vaapi and vdpau) can
> work also without hw decoding now. I have no idea how widespread is
> this kind of usage.

Hmm.  I don't really mind which way we go here.  If the current form
with an extra output format on each hwaccelerable decoder can interfere
with anything else then dropping it would be sensible, but currently its
use completely depends on the vo so I don't see how anything bad can
happen.  Hence I'm inclined to leave it on the grounds that the user
actively chose vaapi output and therefore might know what to blame if it
goes wrong (unless I'm misunderstanding, it's not going to be picked
normally unless a lot of other normally-working things aren't there).

The one actual deficiency that I see is that there is no way to force
software decoding with vaapi output when a compatible hwaccel is
present, but that's a rather absurd case I can't see any use for.  If
the output-only part is desirable then we could easily add an extra
option "nohwaccel" (say) which would entirely disable the decoder setup
and force software decoding.

> Ok

> I have an idea about this, but it requires to allocate the codec in the
> vo like my version did.
> My long-term idea is to move all hwaccel code out of vd_ffmpeg into its
> own vd_ffhwaccel to avoid all the special cases.
>
> For the rest of the changes, the target of my version was to minimize
> modifications to the other accelerators, since I could do only minimal
> testing.

> I will have a look, but we can improve this later.

> I didn't tested them.

Would it be preferable to just entirely remove them, then?  It would cut
the size of the change by a lot and make me somewhat happier that I
understood how it was all working.

> I never noticed it with my version on i7 sandybridge and va0.36, will
> test it also with your version

> iiuc there are 2 ways of handling the surfaces in the vo driver, and
> this is autoselected if not forced.

> For non-working most samples I already found the issue: they are not
> supported on my hw (eg. mpeg4).
> The only nonworking samples that I will have to retest are some wmv3.
>
> [...]
>>>
>>> In all cases it also sensibly plays back unsupported videos (MPEG-4
>>> tried) without decode acceleration.
>>>
>>> How old a libva is it useful to support, anyway? Checking that should
>>> probably be in the configure test.
>>>

>> Based on a survey of current Linux distributions, the oldest libva
>> version in a usefully-supported distribution is 1.2.1 (in openSUSE
>> 12.1), with VA-API version 0.34.  Correspondingly, I now check for that
>> version at configure time and reject older versions.  Support for those
>> has been removed, too, and the only thing which remains conditional is
>> H.265 support (requires 0.37).
> I agree with it, since supporting >=0.34 avoids the compatibility header
>

> [...]
>
> Ciao,
>   Roberto

Thanks,