[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] Potmeter issue

Hans-Dieter Kosch hdkosch at kabelbw.de
Mon Mar 3 01:51:18 CET 2014

Ingo Brückl wrote:

> * A new item 'rpotmeter' (rotary potmeter: button, bwidth, bheight, phases,
>   numphases, default, X, Y, width, height, message) will be introduced.

If width != height, we have an ellipse instead of a circle: how should the
button walk?

1) Walk on the ellipse given by width/height:
This complicates calculation of angle and x/y position. It makes little sense,
since a rotary pot by its design is circular (an excentric designer may have
other opinion...).

2) Walk on the circle given by min(width, height), centered to the image.
This is easy to implement and leaves the designer the ability to use the surplus
x/y space as a margin.

3) Enforce width == height.
This would be the worst, as it would break consistency with the other pots and
it would rob the designer from the ability to use a margin as mentioned in 2),
and it would need a special note in the documentation.

(I'd prefer 2))

Hans-Dieter