[MPlayer-dev-eng] sharedbuffer vo?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Oct 30 20:20:18 CET 2013

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 01:10:13PM -0600, Kevin DeKorte wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I was noticing that in the corevideo code there is a shared buffer
> option. That made me wonder if a generic shared buffer vo would be
> useful. The reason I am asking this is that as display servers move to
> wayland we lose the -wid option in mplayer (or at least we appear to
> be at the moment). So how will applications like gnome-mplayer or
> smplayer work on wayland without X?

Wayland could work harder to be compatible?

> If we were to use something like the shared buffer perhaps that would
> work on newer display servers without reverting to the X11 layer.

It will still offer bad performance and we will have to either
drop all the features that e.g. vo_gl offers (in particular, scaled
subtitle rendering) or re-implement it in each and every frontend.
There is an alternative: EGLStream
http://www.khronos.org/registry/egl/extensions/KHR/EGL_KHR_stream.txt

Problems:
1) It's still messy/a good bit of effort
2) It's EGL only so far. I expect both wayland and GLX would need to
be extended with support for it/something similar.