[MPlayer-dev-eng] patch: Make stdout unbuffered in slave mode

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Oct 10 09:18:25 CEST 2013

On 08.10.2013, at 15:30, Conrad Wood <mplayer at conradwood.net> wrote:
> attached Patch sets the standard output to non-buffered, if mplayer is
> in 'slave' mode.
>
> This has the benefit that a reader connected to mplayer via pipe is a
> lot more responsive (feels faster for the user) since the mplayer output
> is passed into the pipe (and thus the UI) immediately.
>
> I assumed that this is the case almost always when mplayer is invoked
> with '-slave' mode.

What does your UI need stdout for?
I believe (sorry, being lazy and did not check in the code yet) the slave mode messages are supposed to come through stderr which is unbuffered anyway.
I don't like the performance aspects of disabling buffering, I'd rather add explicit flushes at chosen critical points if necessary.