[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] step through tv/dvb channels in gtk gui

Stephen Sheldon sfsheldo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 23:47:42 CET 2013

On 11/20/2013 12:20 PM, Ingo Brückl wrote:
> Stephen Sheldon wrote on Wed, 20 Nov 2013 10:49:32 -0800:
>
>> On 11/20/2013 08:52 AM, Ingo Brückl wrote:
>>> Here we go. This should add (single card) TV/DVB support to the GUI.
>>> It should be possible to open/start using the menu, to switch back and
>>> forth, to see the current channel number and to switch between TV and
>>> other media (file, CD or such). Please test. A total number of
>>> channels though, and the current channel number after starting
>>> gmplayer dvb://3 (for example) from the command line won't work yet
>>> due to the lack of some stream control commands. Ingo
>> Here is the result when I start "mplayer -gui" and go in and select
>> open, play tv:
>> [sheldon at sfs-ath mplayer-checkout-2013-01-29]$ ./mplayer -gui
>> The -gui option will only work as the first command line argument.
>> MPlayer SVN-r36520-4.8.2 (C) 2000-2013 MPlayer Team
>> Playing dvb://1.
>> DVBIN: no such channel "1"
>> Failed to open dvb://1.
>> DVB channels do not have numbers, they have names.
> Ok, new patch. Should work as described with the exception of displaying any
> channel information. (Will do after implementing a stream control command for
> that.)
>
> Ingo
This worked for me.  I tried

mplayer -gui

and selected open .. play tv and it worked.  It played the first channel
in the channels.conf file.  I could change channels.

 From there I could switch to a video in a file.

I also tried

mplayer -gui dvb://[channel]

and that worked.  I could change channels and switch to video in a file.

I could also start a video in a file and switch to .. play tv.

I think the menu should say "Play Digital TV" just to make clear we are
not supporting analog TV in the GUI.

I have 2 different DVB USB dongles, so I could test that.  It is hard
for me to think of a use case, but I do remember President Johnson and
his 3 televisions playing the American networks ABC, CBS, NBC all at once.

Just to be clear again, I am testing ATSC (which apparently is only in
the US) over the air, not over cable, not DVB-T not DVB-S.