[MPlayer-dev-eng] Serious memory exhaustion when playing H264 by ffh264vda decoder

Zongyao Qu zongyao.qu at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 14:16:43 CET 2013

Hi all,

Platform: Mac OSX 10.9 or 10.8 or 10.7
FFmpeg: recent
mplayer: tip of svn

phenomenon:
use such command ./mplayer -vc ffh264vda ..../content.mkv
to play a H264 content.
The memory usage will increase very fast,
and exhaust the whole system in minutes.

Condition to reproduce
1. -vc ffh264vda is necessary
2. a H264 content is necessary, use HD content will be easy to observe.

Analysis:
I use binary search to find which commit cause this misbehavior.

and I found the following commit is the root cause.

AUTHOR reimar
DATE      2013/8/14 5:45 AM
SUBJECT Extract some setup code into a separate function.

If I delete this commit, everything goes fine.

I didn't test other platform, and it is 100% reproducible on Mac OSX.
Please confirm.