[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] step through tv/dvb channels in gtk gui

Stephen Sheldon sfsheldo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 21:15:35 CET 2013

On 11/12/2013 11:06 AM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On 11.11.2013, at 18:34, Stephen Sheldon <sfsheldo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I cannot figure out how to get mplayer to work with DVB on MS Windows.
> I think it should be possible, it goes through DirectShow.
> I think it is a bit tricky though and I do not know the exact steps, what have you tried?
I started mplayer (mingw64) in cygwin to get the output in an easy form:

[sheldon at sheldon-c2d:/cygdrive/c/mplayer-svn x86_64]$./mplayer.exe tv://
MPlayer SVN-r36500-4.7.3 (C) 2000-2013 MPlayer Team
206 audio & 433 video codecs
getch2: 6 can't get number of input events  [disabling console input]

Playing tv://.
Cache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)

TV file format detected.
Selected driver: dshow
  name: DirectShow TV
  author: Vladimir Voroshilov
  comment: Very experimental!! Use with caution
tvi_dshow: Using device #0: WinTV HVR-980 Capture

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: demux_open
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
   Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
   disassembly. Details in
DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
   It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
   gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
   DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We
can't and
   won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a
possible bug.
[sheldon at sheldon-c2d:/cygdrive/c/mplayer-svn x86_64]$

Using mplayer compiled for cygwin64, mplayer dies a little more gracefully:

[sheldon at sheldon-c2d:~ x86_64]$mplayer tv://
MPlayer SVN-r36496-4.8.2 (C) 2000-2013 MPlayer Team

Playing tv://.
TV file format detected.
Selected driver: dshow
  name: DirectShow TV
  author: Vladimir Voroshilov
  comment: Very experimental!! Use with caution
tvi_dshow: Using device #0: WinTV HVR-980 Capture
tvi_dshow: Unsupported media type passed to get_available_formats_stream
tvi_dshow: Unsupported media type passed to get_available_formats_pin
tvi_dshow: Unable to parse video format structure.
tvi_dshow: Directshow graph initialization failure.

Exiting... (End of file)

This could be a difference in the mingw runtimes, and/or the compilers.

I have a Hauppauge DVB stick on my Windows 7 computer.