[MPlayer-dev-eng] Bugreport/Patch: x11 video backend has wrong geometry assumptions

Jens Stimpfle debian at jstimpfle.de
Thu May 9 18:20:07 CEST 2013

On Thu, May 09, 2013 at 04:19:11PM +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Might be worth just trying to remove that wait for map.
> Do you know if there is a chance of other strange effects of not
> waiting?

No, but IMO it's more a question of what external software is broken.
WMs that require you you to wait for anything certainly are.

> For example some OpenGL drivers crashing when creating a context
> before the map request was processed?

I can't tell, but my strong belief is that code that doesn't work
independently of mappedness is broken (to be or not to be mapped is, as
geometry, the WM's decision). As far as I know X11 operations on
drawables are independent of mappedness. Therefore, IMO, "technical"
code as mplayer (and as opposed to fancy desktop apps) is best off
completely ignoring mappedness.