[MPlayer-dev-eng] Smeared video with screenshot and unsharp filter

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Mar 28 00:51:28 CET 2013

On 27 Mar 2013, at 22:37, Ingo Brückl <ib at wupperonline.de> wrote:
> After updating ffmpeg today (for the first time in 2 months), I'm
> experiencing filter problems again. (We already had that a few times in the
> past.) There is a flickering in the video's upper part and then it gets
> smeared. (Sample will be provided.) MPlayer with the January ffmpeg runs
> fine. (I hate updating ffmpeg.)
>
> I'm also experiencing (unfortunately non-reproducible) very seldom crashes.
> (I will provide further information if I can get a crash on the command
> line.)
>
> There is a "[VD_FFMPEG] DRI failure." message which seems to be new.
>
> My command line is:
>
>  mplayer -noconfig all -vf-add screenshot -vf-add unsharp=l7x7:1.7

Probably won't have time to analyse any time soon, but I suspect that the refcounted buffer stuff completely broke direct rendering, and it might not even be fixable.
You can just disable dr and live with FFmpeg getting slower and slower due to more and more optimizations being removed/broken (though in most cases new asm instructions and multithreading making up for it - doesn't help users of older or weaker hardware though)