[MPlayer-dev-eng] internal libmpeg2 status (and necessity), Linux 2.4 drivers

compn tempn at twmi.rr.com
Fri Mar 22 01:44:01 CET 2013

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 20:40:19 +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 02:16:12PM -0400, compn wrote:
>>
>> can you still build ffmpeg against libmpeg2 ? no.
>
>That was never possible, you are mixing up libmpeg2 with something else.

oops, you are correct.

i compare ffmpeg v libmpeg2 output on corrupt and rare samples often.
vlc and xbmc still link against both libs:
http://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_Features_Formats
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBMC_related_projects_and_sites

re drivers:
i havent used any of those old cards/drivers in years.
havent seen our resident mga devel around since 2011.
in #mplayer we still get a few people working with framebuffers and
such. but i'd say its on newer hardware.

i'd hate to see that code deleted. i wouldnt mind it moved into a
seperate svn repo and disable it in the configure, if someone wants it,
svn co to get it working. if you dont like this idea, please articulate
your reasoning.

-compn