[MPlayer-dev-eng] locale in GUI

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Thu Mar 14 11:53:52 CET 2013

Le quartidi 24 ventôse, an CCXXI, Hans-Dieter Kosch a écrit :
> Env vars are basically just a hint, it's upon the program's
> discretion how to use them. As we can't change the libs that MPlayer
> is using, we can guide them to expected behaviour this way. And such
> modifying doesn't change the environment of the calling process.

> I agree, annoying. Silently filter out what's disturbing us.
> Possibly, the user needs it otherwise.
>
> It's a general idea: We can't expect every user to be aware of the
> environment (some may have no idea what an environment really is).
> So, it might be not bad to filter the environment according to
> MPlayer's needs.

Basic rule to make a good program: if you consider a change that will make
the power-users' life more difficult but the basic users' life easier,
don't.

Setting parameters (including environment variables) when they are at their
non-functional default is ok.

Fiddling with parameters that a user set while knowing what he's doing (or
thinking so) is not ok.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George