[MPlayer-dev-eng] locale in GUI

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Mar 12 19:38:04 CET 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 05:35:27PM +0100, Ingo Brückl wrote:

> >>I actually don't think that a patch is necessary, because it works as
> >>designed by the GLib developers. (And, btw, the rules aren't arbitrary.
> >>The
> >>only confusion comes with us not setting the locale which, on the other
> >>hand,
> >>isn't a problem at all.)
> >>
> >>If we don't properly translate the filenames between file system and
> >>GLib,
> >>we'll run into trouble with either the display or use of them.
>
> > I have the feeling you misunderstood my point.
>
> I don't get why, on the one hand, you're arguing "using anything other than
> UTF-8 for file names is stupid on a level that honestly not even trying to
> support it would be best by far" (ok, understandable, although we're
> supporting any encoding) and then, on the other hand, bringing up mixed
> encodings. Are they less stupid?

First, that was an example that would be very easy to test.
Second, not supporting anything other that UTF-8 should result in
clear and reproducible behaviour, the current code is open to mysterious
failures depending on some environment variables almost nobody knows
about.
In addition as you have seen it can happily break even for people using
UTF-8 exclusively.
I can see a lot of appeal in both simple and in robust solution.
The current one to me personally looks like it is neither though,
and thus I see no contradiction in arguing for two radically opposite
approaches.