[MPlayer-dev-eng] Flickering video when resizing

Ingo Brückl ib at wupperonline.de
Wed Jan 16 20:48:44 CET 2013

It has caught my eye that resizing a running video window behaves differently
between pure MPlayer and the GUI. When quickly resizing it, it is completely
smooth with MPlayer, but it shows some flickering with the GUI, i.e. you can
see (very shortly) a (black) background that overlays with the video until
the video fills the window again. (Is that understandable?) It reminds me of
something like a lack of double buffering / blank sync.

I tried to figure out what might be the reason, but didn't succeed, so I
disabled all gui() calls during playback, i.e. gui(GUI_HANDLE_X_EVENT,
&Event) in libvo/x11_common.c and those in mplayer.c, so that no GUI
intervention should take place during playback - and the flickering remained.

So it doesn't seem to be GUI code that causes it (except for its window
creation, maybe) but some different handling of the window by the video
driver, because it's a WinID window and not a window created by MPlayer
itself.

Anyone any idea?

Ingo