[MPlayer-dev-eng] Requirements to support a new architecture

Ezequiel García ezequiel at vanguardiasur.com.ar
Sun Dec 1 20:46:40 CET 2013

Hi guys,

I'm working on porting a few packages to Nios-II. I don't really plan
to do much work with mplayer (at least for now)
on Nios-II, but it would be OK to have it supported so others can use it.

Buildroot provides a mplayer package, so it's almost trivial to
cross-compile mplayer to Nios-II.
I've just modified the configure script, so it accepts 'nios2' cpu
type, and I'm getting this output:

$ file output/target/usr/bin/mplayer
output/target/usr/bin/mplayer: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Altera Nios
II, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for
GNU/Linux 2.6.21, stripped

I don't have the hardware ready right now to test, so I'm not sure if
it'll work or not.
However, a quick inspection of the sources show there's no significant
architectural dependency,
except for some arch-level optimizations.

Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks!
--
Ezequiel García, VanguardiaSur