[MPlayer-dev-eng] Linking mplayer fails

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Mon Apr 1 14:51:35 CEST 2013

Le duodi 12 germinal, an CCXXI, Reimar Döffinger a écrit :
> I am not sure about any other systems, but since we do not enable PIE by
> default for them it should't matter much.

Hum:

r35083 | reimar | Build as relocatable PIE binary by default on x86.
r35094 | reimar | Disable building as PIE binary by default.
r35953 | reimar | Enable auto-detection of PIE linking again.

Currently, it seems that PIE is enabled by default. I have no idea what are
the benefits and drawbacks in mplayer's case, but I suppose at some point
someone will need to make a decision, document it and stick to it.

Also, if PIC is required with PIE, then moving the PIC test before PIE seems
wrong, so I suggest to start by reverting r36098.

Note: --disable-relocatable fixes compilation on GNU/x86_64.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George