[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] aspect scaling, panscan etc. in windowed mode

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Fri Sep 14 11:09:36 CEST 2012

Le nonidi 29 fructidor, an CCXX, Reimar Döffinger a écrit :
> The reason is simple: that the letterbox/panscan code produces anything
> even remotely sensible in window mode is a relatively recent development.
> And one that involved a lot of preparatory work, like making sure all vos
> actually provide the current window size in a somewhat consistent form.
> And when all was done I didn't really feel like changing behaviour when I
> couldn't decide what is better.

Ok, thanks for the explanations. I have no idea how backends other than X11
work, so I had not realized that e.g. getting the window size could be a
problem.

> Hm, that might be an option. However, if -noaspect no longer means -sar 1,
> I think we then lack a way to specify -sar 1, so that doesn't look so much
> like an improvement to me.

I believe "-vf dsize=-1:-1" does exactly "-sar 1".

That would give something like that:

-nokeepaspect: do not ask the WM to preserve the ratio in windowed mode.

- default behaviour: letterbox or panscan to preserve the aspect ratio, both
  in full screen and windowed mode, the latter only relevant if
  -nokeepaspect or bogus WM;

- with -noaspect: always fill the window, both in full screen and windowed
  mode;

- to disregard bogus aspect ratio in the video and/or disable prescaling,
  "-vf dsize=-1:-1".

That seems reasonable, IMHO.

Regards,

--