[MPlayer-dev-eng] Performance of libdvdread/libdvdcss

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Sep 1 12:15:42 CEST 2012

On Sat, Sep 01, 2012 at 10:20:05AM +0100, Vicente Sendra wrote:
> But we are doing things that we should not do, because we are using both functions with the os file handle (ioct) and functions with the C run-time file descriptor (read). And this is a bad thing if we read this:

Reading Microsoft advices is usually useless because they don't try to
put in enough information to allow you to understand it.
There's no reason why using (these kinds of) ioctls natively and reads
through the libc interface should be an issue.

> I'm going to try the mixed solution, reading with win2k, closing, then reading with libc with keys from win2k.

Why don't you try the much easier approach of changing the random access
flag first?
Whoever is going to review the patch is certain to ask you _why_ it
makes a difference, and even if your approach works you'll have a
very hard time figuring out why from there.