[MPlayer-dev-eng] Suggestion: Why not use SO_REUSEADDR for -udp-slave ?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri Dec 21 14:56:45 CET 2012

On 20 Dec 2012, at 09:11, Barry Staes <barrystaes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> I have been reading udp_sync.c and i wonder why get_udp() is not using the
> SO_REUSEADDR<http://code.metager.de/source/s?defs=SO_REUSEADDR&project=mplayer>
> option
> when establishing the listening socket.
>
> AFAIK: this would allow multiple instances of MPlayer to receive UDP
> broadcast messages. Thus enabling running multiple slave instances in sync
> on one computer running Windows or *NIX.
>
> Is there a reason SO_REUSEADDR is not used?

I may be wrong, but the way I remember the discussion from FFmpeg, even with it and when it is a broadcast address only exactly one application will receive each message.
In that case, the only effect that using would have is that it still wouldn't work but it would fail without any error message or other hint, which sure would be a really bad thing.