[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] configure: print "recommended codecs"

Andy Furniss andyqos at ukfsn.org
Sun Dec 2 14:16:04 CET 2012

Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Andy Furniss <andyqos <at> ukfsn.org> writes:
>
>>> For VDPAU I am actually having the issue that MPlayer defaults
>>> to that on one of my machines, because XV is not available.
>>> Problem is, it has an ATI card and the result is not great...
>>> I might just drop that part, I was mostly curious about what
>>> people think.
>>
>> I get vdpau by default on ati even if xv works, but I actually
>> prefer vdpau - in some cases it's better than xv or gl. I am
>> only talking about -vo, -vc ffmpeg12vdpau isn't worth using
>> but then that won't happen unless you ask.
>>
>> What problems did you see and which ati card?
>
> Does this mean you get (approximately correct)
> output with -vo vdpau and ati / amd???
> (I didn't know.)

I do, yes.

I may not be very representative, though - I run git mesa/xorg on an
ancient LFS and I don't use a desktop environment. Just an old (non
compositing metacity).

Though last time I tested with ancient compiz running it worked.

I test with a radeon 9600 and an HD7890, the 9600 uses the r300 driver
which did have issues in the past (segfaults), but they were actually
because nvidia didn't follow their own spec when they wrote the mplayer
implementation. This is worked around in current mesa.

> Does deinterlacing work?

It's disabled at the moment and only consists of a filtered bob.

It does actually work, but there is an issue somewhere that causes some
minor corruption when it's not in use.