[MPlayer-dev-eng] Reverted patch of time-based PTS locking

Pásztor Szilárd don at tricon.hu
Wed Aug 15 00:24:25 CEST 2012

 Reimar Döffinger:
> So your could would "correct" that frame time to only be the normal
> frame time, thus causing slowly increasing desync (with video playing
> too slow) until it reaches the 20*frametime (around 0.6s).
> Then it would let MPlayer slowly correct it back, just to re-enable
> itself again and do the same thing over.

 Yes it is possible that this code starts working in situations when it
 shouldn't.
 An easy additional check could prevent this bug though.

> Well, that probably explains your issues. You are using an outdated
> MPlayer version, that bug has been fixed (and did cause massive
> sync issues with PAFF).

 Hm, right. A new svn checkout "solved" this. However, this is a
 different
 source of problems than the original one.

> Hm, can you see anything in actual playback?
> Because I'd consider that mostly a cosmetic issue...

 There is a big difference. As the video PTS is constantly jerking
 around
 without the fix, the A-V sync code jerks around too to catch up.
 I'm watching HD broadcasts with my monitor refresh rate set to 50/60,
 depending on PAL or NTSC source, and with letting PTS to jerk around,
 PAFF HD videos are frankly unwatchable, and even more so with -mc 1.
 With the PTS fixed, mplayer performs like a HD television.

 I'll look into it for a stable check to fix it so that everyone can be
 happy.
 I'll try it with all sources I have, NTSC stuff with changing FPS
 included.