[MPlayer-dev-eng] Reverted patch of time-based PTS locking

Jan Ehrhardt phpdev at ehrhardt.nl
Tue Aug 14 16:54:07 CEST 2012

Pásztor Szilárd in gmane.comp.video.mplayer.devel (Tue, 14 Aug 2012
16:07:40 +0200):
>Jan Ehrhardt:
>> I never got MEncoder to transcode files like these decently:
>> http://x32.elijst.nl/00005.MTS
>>
>> I am using r33986 right now, because revisions like 34002 failed. Your
>> reverted patch marks a difference between r33999 and r34000, so it is
>> very likely this patch is causing my troubles as well.
>
>My patch was removed from mplayer.c. How does it relate to mencoder's
>functionality?

Hmmm. You are right. Yet, is is remarkable that MEncoder broke om PAFF
interlaced files at almost the same moment as MPlayer. The only way I
can use newer MEncoder with this file is by using the telecine filter
with really bad results:

mencoder -mc 1 -vf scale=448:256,harddup,telecine -aspect 16:9 -sws 2
	-of lavf -lavfopts format=asf -ovc lavc -lavcopts
	vcodec=wmv2:vbitrate=336 -oac lavc -lavcopts
	acodec=wmav2:abitrate=64 -o wmvwma.wmv 00005.MTS

Without the telecine filter I get all kinds of A/V sync errors.

There must have been a similar change in mencoder.c at about the same
time, I guess. Or the change was elsewhere in the code, affecting both
MPlayer and MEncoder...

Jan