[MPlayer-dev-eng] Passing parameters to video/audio output drivers

Deron Kazmaier deron at pagestream.org
Mon Sep 19 21:23:37 CEST 2011

I've been tinkering with the DeckLink patch submitted in August of 2009
(http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2009-August/062097.html
patch url
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/attachments/20090817/0a55034d/attachment.diff)
and have it working for the most part. I could use some pointers on how
best to solve a few problems within the proper mplayer framework.

First, as I understand it the video output mode is selected using the
width and height based on the width and height of the video data. It
will fail if the width and height do not match. I can select the next
size up, but is there someway for the decklink driver to cause a
scale/crop/pad for mplayer etal to fill out the data or does it need to
do that itself? I know the user can scale it, but is it recommended to
do this automatically since it is required?

Second, that same code does not try and match the fps. It was just
picking the first fps option that matched the width/height. Can I get
the fps of the video data in the config call of the video driver? Again,
if it does not match an available output, can I request it be scaled up?

Lastly (well for the video driver for now), I need to select from
multiple output devices. I happen to have 2, but each device can have
multiple outputs itself. What is the proper way to pass parameters like
this to the driver?

If some existing drivers do these things, I'm happy to go look there,
just which drivers to go look at? I'm not trying to get anyone else to
do any heavy lifting, but I'm overwhelmed with the amount of unfamiliar
code and would like to see this patch conforming to mplayer standards
and included.

Thanks,

Deron