[MPlayer-dev-eng] Question for dev's: Does mplayer disable DPMS timeouts? "xset q" looks good, but timeouts never trigger

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Wed Sep 7 10:30:01 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 04:31:57PM -0400, Ted Pavlic wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 01:37:34PM -0400, Ted Pavlic wrote:
> >> I've toyed with nostop-xscreensaver and
> >
> > I think that option accidentally had no effect, can you try attached patch?
>
> The patch works!
>
> mplayer
> mplayer -nostop-xscreensaver
>
> both allow DPMS timeouts to be hit. If I add:

That sounds like a bug (a regression; at least an undocumented change in
behaviour). Current mplayer (as of this weekend) and older versions as long
as I can remember stop the screensaver and DPMS from blanking the
monitor while watching a movie.

If some program calling mplayer to play some movies does wish to play a
movie that cannot be seen (because the monitor is turned off), that program
should specify the -nostop-xscreensaver option.

> mplayer -stop-xscreensaver

Do I need to add yet another option to my mplayer config to keep mplayer
working the way it should?

> then mplayer keeps the monitors on.

That was the long-standing default behaviour.

> So the patch restores the expected behavior.

No, it introduces a regression. This would not be the first such change of
behaviour to the worse (-nosub is needed for DVDs now-a-days, which was
not needed back-in-the-day).

Thanks,
Erik
--
Conventional Li-Ion batteries have been known to catch fire and explode.
                        -- Iddo Genuth