[MPlayer-dev-eng] vbr mp3 runtime

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Sep 3 09:07:40 CEST 2011

On Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 01:42:02PM +0200, Ingo Brückl wrote:

> >> Well, if it's unwanted ... I just thought it would be nice to have vbr
> >> support...
>
> > If it's simple enough it would still be ok.
>
> So you're encouraging me?

Well, I'd prefer to switch to libavformat for mostly everything at least
in the long term, and I prefer time invested in that.
This is also because IIRC the Xing headers can cause some decoding
issues so lavf filters them out, but that I think is more complex than
why am willing to accept in MPlayer.
But if the patch you sent is mostly representative of the complexity
I think it would be fine to have in MPlayer's demuxer, too.

> Based on the bugzilla reports, don't you think it maybe *is* a good idea to
> have vbr support?

Yes.

> I'm willing to put work into mp3_vbr_frames() to the best of my knowledge,
> but not if you are seriously doubting that it's a good idea, which (to my
> understanding) sounds like I'd waste my time.

I am unsure if adding it to the MPlayer demuxer is the best way to get
the functionality though.