[MPlayer-dev-eng] Question regarding MPlayer's OpenGL output

Mostapha El-Shafey mostapha at viionsystems.com
Thu Oct 20 18:28:30 CEST 2011

> A RGB texture is 3 times as much data, so it is 3 times slower
> by that alone. Probably GL_BGR_EXT isn't optimized since nobody
> (except you) uses it and is another multiple times slower.

Thanks. That pointed me in the right direction. I'm now using little (10%)
CPU to display multiple video feeds, which is equal to MPlayer performance.
The problem was using RGB and BGR (3 bytes per pixel). I now use GL_BGRA and
have my incoming frames decoded into a 4 bytes per pixel frame instead of a
3 bytes per pixel frame and that had a huge effect on performance. CPU usage
went down from 50% (one CPU core) to less than 10%.

> Which version of VLC are you using? VLC <= 1.1 does not use shader for
> YUV -> RGB conversion while current git master does. On my hardware, using
> VLC 1.2 is about the same speed than xvideo for example (but still a
little
> bit slower).

I'm using 1.1.11. I'll download 1.2 and see how it performs, and if needed
I'll report performance issues to vlc.