[MPlayer-dev-eng] threaded cache

Dan Oscarsson Dan.Oscarsson at tieto.com
Sun Nov 27 14:59:19 CET 2011

sön 2011-11-27 klockan 13:56 +0100 skrev Erik Auerswald:
> Hi Dan,
>
> On 11/26/2011 07:41 PM, Dan Oscarsson wrote:
> > Attached is a patch to use pthreads instead of fork when pthread is
> > available. Timing on my machine gives faster response for calls to
> > cache_do_control.
>
> I have tested your patch with DVB, DVD, and HD MKV videos, as well as
> MP3 music (streaming via HTTP and files). I did not notice any
> differences (besides only one mplayer process).
>
> How can I check for the faster cache response you mentioned?

My measurements was on cache_do_control and you will probably not notice
the difference as in all my cases they were below 50 milliseconds. And
for most files cache_do_control is only called at beginning and end of
playing, a few also calls it on seek. But still, even the fork version
is to quick for most people to notice any delay.

The only difference most will see is that there is only one mplayer
process.

  Dan