[MPlayer-dev-eng] supported ALSA versions

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri Nov 4 16:57:25 CET 2011

On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 11:06:15PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> I looked into the baroque ALSA check in configure and noticed that we
> support ALSA versions from 2000 (last 0.5 release) and 2003 (last 0.9
> release).  While maintaining compatibility and such is all nice and
> great a decade sounds like the timeframe when one can safely eliminate
> cruft.
>
> Am I overlooking something non-obvious about systems without ALSA
> versions from at least 2003 (first 1.0 release)?

Well, I don't consider 0.9 _that_ ancient.
Also note that the ao looks like it works just fine with both, no
ugliness at all.
The ais on the other hand someone thought it a good idea to duplicate
the whole file because of what essentially is 7 lines difference.
I admit without someone to come forward to test it it risks being
pointless, but I would like to keep 0.9 support for compiling and
having ao_alsa.c.
About 0.5 and ai for 0.9: From my side feel free to kill it.