[MPlayer-dev-eng] swab is in string.h on win32 and declaration conflicts

Gianluigi Tiesi mplayer at netfarm.it
Wed May 25 05:34:24 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 11:04:53AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> You are wrong, the costs do add up.  Small as they may look at each
> incremental step, you end up with 10k lines of configure to support
> all system-specific shenanigans.
>
> What is worse, however, is that every workaround that is added by users
> of the platform makes it less likely that the platform itself actually
> gets fixed.  We have witnessed this for years with the BSDs, porters
> kept adding gazillions of workarounds to each application instead of
> fixing their libc once.
>
> Plus, it is *easy* to get MinGW fixed, as I have already proved.  There
> is absolutely no excuse to waste more time flaming here than it would
> take to get MinGW fixed.

it's really not a big deal for me to fix my headers, but this will break
compilation on standard mingw installs too (http://www.mingw.org/)

I'm not sure mingw64 (that also ships 32bit compiler) will replace www.mingw.org
Perhaps cygwin toolchain for it's still broken, it links advapi32 symbols to kernel32
and at least on winxp x64 and 2003 x64 registry handling functions are still in advapi32

Regards

--
Gianluigi Tiesi <sherpya at netfarm.it>
EDP Project Leader