[MPlayer-dev-eng] Hardware acceleration with fbdev

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Thu May 5 15:07:07 CEST 2011

>> > VIDIX is legacy code in a general state of disrepair.
>>
>> Hopefully you're not going to remove it?

> The threat of removing XYZ seems to be the only thing that drives
> people using XYZ out of the woodworks...

So far so good, but now that you drove us out of the woodworks, what
alternative API would you like us to migrate to?

>> There a some embedded systems around which are not capable to run X,
>> or won't have an accelerated X driver available. VIDIX makes it
>> easily possible to support these devices, without having to code a
>> full 'vo' driver. MPlayer is probably the most leightweight OSS video
>> player around, making it a good match for embedded systems.
>>
>> (BTW I'm the developer of a VIDIX driver for the Ingenic jz47xx SOC
>> for use with the NanoNote -- http://sf.net/projects/mplayer-jz47xx/).

> Why have you created a sourceforge project for this, but not submitted
> it here?  Or are you using the external vidix.sf.net version?

This is still work in progress, was planning on submitting it, once
everything stabilized.  But for now, it's much easier to develop it
outside mplayer's svn (where i have no commit access anyways).  Note
that this is not a fork.  It's just a vidix driver, plus a patch to
mplayer to load it from a shared object (so we can package/update it
independently from mplayer).

cheers,

David