[MPlayer-dev-eng] The future of a GUI

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Mar 14 22:57:18 CET 2011

On 14 Mar 2011, at 16:23, Ingo Brückl <ib at wupperonline.de> wrote:
> Clément Boesch wrote on Sat, 12 Mar 2011 22:29:40 +0100:
>
>> You know, there is no urge on making the GUI working fine. GUI has been
>> dropped from default and we repeated to users not to use it and look for
>> solutions like gnome-mplayer or smplayer. If users see massive commits on
>> the GUI, they will think it's going to be better, while in fact, it's
>> purely cosmetics; and this is not good. And it also pollute the history
>> (not that important thought in this case).
>
> This gives me the bad feeling that working on the GUI is a complete waste of
> time.

There is still a good amount of users left, I am sure they will be grateful.
However you are still the only developer genuinely interested. Should you decide to leave before significantly removing GUI "tentacles" (note: more about GUI #ifdefs, I am not that much concerned about using things like the stream_ctrl functions, even though I'd prefer if it didn't) we would probably go back to preparing users for it's removal and most likely do it at some point.
Hope that's neither unexpected nor too disappointing to you?