[MPlayer-dev-eng] the great reformatting

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Mar 6 14:18:30 CET 2011

On Sun, Mar 06, 2011 at 01:37:32PM +0100, Ingo Brückl wrote:
> Diego Biurrun wrote on Sat, 05 Mar 2011 21:16:47 +0100:
>
> >> Oh, sorry for not mentioning. Yes, I'd like to remove the unnecessary
> >> variable names from header files (redundant and not needed by the compiler)
> >> unless of course this would be against the coding style.
>
> > It would - IMHO - be stupid to remove such valuable information, why
> > would you want to do such a thing?
>
> I consider this a redundant and useless information.

You can't reference to the parameters in doxygen documentation if you remove
the names.
Since at least in some cases it is better to have that documentation in
a header they really should not be removed.

> > but developers also read header files, not just compilers...
>
> IMO there cannot much be learned without an explanation of the parameters.

It works fine as a reminder, if e.g. you know how it works but just have
forgotten some detail, particularly argument order.
The usefulness is reduced a bit by the fact that there is no automated way
to check that the names actually match between header and implementation.