[MPlayer-dev-eng] mencoder, VP8 and altref frames

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Jun 23 23:10:29 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 11:03:14PM +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 10:33:37PM +0200, Tobias Diedrich wrote:
> > mencoder assumes that if decode_video returns NULL there was a
> > decoding problem and this should still be counted as a frame.
> > However with VP8 we have altref frames, which should not be counted.
>
> We already have a special mp_image for that.
> Apart from that
>
> > Opinions?
>
> Yes, ignore VP8 altref. They were repeatedly told that it's current
> implementation is crap, causes compatibility issues all over the place
> and couldn't name a good reason to stick with it but still decided to
> keep it that way.
> I am very much inclined to oppose supporting it on principle.

Note that this leads to the secondary option: write a bitstream
filter that merges altrefs with following frames and make that
the only officially supported VP8 bitstream format in FFmpeg,
thus fixing it's compatibility issues without needing the ok
of the people who _should_ be interested in their format actually
working in the real world (but obviously aren't really).