[MPlayer-dev-eng] mencoder, VP8 and altref frames

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Jun 23 23:03:14 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 10:33:37PM +0200, Tobias Diedrich wrote:
> mencoder assumes that if decode_video returns NULL there was a
> decoding problem and this should still be counted as a frame.
> However with VP8 we have altref frames, which should not be counted.

We already have a special mp_image for that.
Apart from that

> Opinions?

Yes, ignore VP8 altref. They were repeatedly told that it's current
implementation is crap, causes compatibility issues all over the place
and couldn't name a good reason to stick with it but still decided to
keep it that way.
I am very much inclined to oppose supporting it on principle.