[MPlayer-dev-eng] dvd -vs- dvdnav

compn tempn at twmi.rr.com
Wed Jul 13 13:45:03 CEST 2011

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 21:03:08 -0400, Steaphan Greene wrote:
>Can anyone explain (or point me to an explanation of) the plan with the
>duplication between dvdnav:// and dvd:// in current mplayer?

might want to ask nico for his plans.

>Basically, is this split/duplication intended to be permanent, or is
>this just the current state, awaiting improvement?  As is, there are
>some things dvdnav: is better at (menus/navigation), and some things
>dvd: is better at (faster angle switching, smoother transitions).

i'm not sure if we have plans, due to people liking dvd:// but also
needing dvdnav:// for menus.

>Is there any interest in merging these two, or, at least, obsoleting one
>by adding features to the other?  I might be interested in trying the
>second choice myself.
>
>Either way, if I were to work on adding features to one or the other,
>which one should I add the features to, if it can not be added to both
>via common code?

maybe reimar knows this one. dvdnav is the newer of the two. companies
are putting out bogus dvd discs and just dont care about having the
certified 'dvd' logo anymore. these broken discs cause problems for
mplayer and other dvd reading libraries. you will be fighting an uphill
battle. at any rate, fixes/features to either of them would be
appreciated.

i think there is still an old feature request to play css encrypted
vobs.

>My eventual interest is in helping to complete blu-ray play/navigation
>support.  But, of course, that is a long way off, so this seemed like a
>better place to start.

there are some bluray components that would be useful in mplayer, like
libaacs support, and the list of known player/disc keys. in the future
we'll have to agree on java support for the bluray menus too.

>In the meantime, I thought the ability to play multiple DVD angles at
>once might be neat (in fact, it is neat, and is possible via udp sync,
>but a bit cumbersome, and currently incompatible with most navigation).

multiple video streams at once is very difficult in mplayer. i think
only the videomixer patch has done it so far, and that needs multiple
instances: http://onebithq.com/root/mplayer/videomixer

-compn