[MPlayer-dev-eng] FFmpeg, svn:externals and where to go from here

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Jan 31 19:39:34 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:56:12AM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 07:17:31PM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> > > What's the problem with installing FFmpeg on Windows? Seriously,
> > > is there something that can done to make this step easier?
> >
> > Not Windows-specific really, except that there's not even the
> > option of using a system one.
> > The issues are
> > - additional steps (yet another configure to run, with different
> >   options which is particularly annoying for cross-compiling)
>
> I see nothing that could not be solved by a simple shell script...

Well, we already have one that is well tested, it's named configure.

> > - no reliable make uninstall
>
> If you report bugs I will fix them.

No really ancient headers/no longer installed headers are removed
(e.g. in the split subdirs), binaries from a crosscompile
are not removed (i.e. only one of .so .dll .dynlib or .exe vs no .exe)
library links generated by ldconfig are not removed (I have some
doubts this is fixable in a sane way, and does not apply to
Windows anyway I admit).