[MPlayer-dev-eng] Git migration

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Jan 2 12:51:51 CET 2011

On 2 jan 2011, at 10:37, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 06:01:22PM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
>> On 21 dec 2010, at 11:54, Clément Bœsch <ubitux at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Since FFmpeg is migrating to Git, it was question of doing it also for
>>> MPlayer. Is there anyone opposed to this? Luca mentionned the MPlayer dev
>>> team in FFmpeg mailing list so I'd be happy to have opinions on this.
>>
>> I so far assumed that both would be moved at more or less the same
>> time, in a way that keeps the embedded FFmpeg checkout working,
>> everything else would be quite a mess, at least for any less advanced
>> users.
>
> Unfortunately your assumption is baseless, there is nobody working on
> migrating MPlayer.  Note that I'm not saying I'm opposed, I'm just
> stating facts.

While it may be wrong, it is not baseless, that was the plan that was stated during one of the initial discussions.
I also assumed it to be necessary in order to be able to test that integrating the FFmpeg subtree actually works with git (most of the time I have heard only bad things about git in that regard), since there are still quite a few FFmpeg developer using MPlayer AFAICT knowing whether we will risk losing that tight integration forever with the git switch would be useful information...