[MPlayer-dev-eng] A question on message format rules

Ingo Brückl ib at wupperonline.de
Tue Feb 22 10:29:14 CET 2011

Reimar Döffinger wrote on Mon, 21 Feb 2011 19:15:17 +0100:

> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 12:37:34AM +0100, Ingo Brückl wrote:
>> Is there a favored format on the messages? I see:
>>
>> message only
>> [some module] message
>> [SOME MODULE] message

> Well, in principle only the message, and the module should correspond
> to MSGT, and printing that can be globally enabled.
> Sometimes (e.g. with vos where we have many different ones) it makes
> sense to add that kind of thing though anyway.

I'm not sure that I totally got your point.

In particular, I'm asking myself whether general messages (mp_msg) should
have the "[]" part (and I take your answer as "no").

For example, there are error messages

  "[skin] file ( %s ) not readable.\n"
  "[ws] Could not open the display.\n"

and other ones (in, or belonging to, the same file) say

  "skin config file read error (%s)\n"
  "Could not enable DPMS.\n"

I tend to remove the "[]" from mp_msg output strings and only leave them on
mp_dbg output strings (to allow proper tracking).

Ingo