[MPlayer-dev-eng] FFmpeg, svn:externals and where to go from here

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Wed Feb 16 10:30:52 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 09:12:51PM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> > > The difference is that between a simply "please try this dvdnav patch"
> > > and a ca. 50 lines instruction that still don't work on all
> > > systems (starts with the joy of /usr/local/lib not being in the
> > > library path by default).
> > > If the reason for slow development was libdvdnav being working fine
> > > that would be reasonable, but the situation is rather libdvd* being
> > > really crappy but nobody really cares so much.
> > > That is not taking into account that there generally is no system
> > > libdvdcss.
> >
> > I still believe this can be solved by some script that fetches all
> > components, compiles them and then builds MPlayer.  Would this be
> > sufficient for you to consider dropping libdvdread/libdvdnav?
>
> It really doesn't seem worth it to me, it's implementation effort,
> at least at the beginning it is almost certain to be buggy etc.

The implementation effort is mine, you can accept it with a clear
conscience.

> If you want to spend time on getting rid of things, how about
> the included tremor? I just saw recently that we should be able
> to use the external one,

What has changed, i.e. what did you see recently?

I'm all for getting rid of Tremor, it's just that there used to be
some tricky issues blocking it.  Especially the fact that there are
no Tremor releases and that the API changed.

Diego