[MPlayer-dev-eng] the great reformatting

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Feb 15 21:00:48 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 07:16:48PM +0100, Clément Bœsch wrote:
> > After reformatting I get a lot of failures by patch even with option -l.
> > I assume this is mostly because it does not just adjust white space but
> > also change the contents on many lines.
>
> It adds/remove various \n, and IIRC the config also drops pointless {},
> so yeah, it's not just whitespaces.

Have you tested that it does not incorrectly remove {} around a macro
that require it?
That seems very difficult to get right, particularly when something
might be a macro or not depending on some defines.
(of course those macros should be fixed, but code breakage in obscure
cases is not a good way to find them).

> > Why is a space added after a type conversion?
> >    (const void *const*)&index_data,
> > is changed to
> >    (const void *const *) &index_data,
> > or
> >   vo_vsync_time = GetTimer()-(int)((now-show_time)/1000);
> > is changed to
> >   vo_vsync_time = GetTimer() - (int) ((now - show_time) / 1000);
> > I think it is easier to read if type conversion is next to the data
> > being converted to show what is being converted.
> >

> I totally agree with this, but we should follow K&R.

I have seen absolutely no code that does this, so I very much
disagree here.