[MPlayer-dev-eng] Compiler warnings

Ingo Brückl ib at wupperonline.de
Tue Feb 1 16:54:42 CET 2011

The MPlayer 1.0rc4 release note says:

  [...] A ton of compiler warnings disappeared [...]

This is great. Because warnings are a programmer's valuable help, there
should be lots of compiler warning options activated and warnings should be
clearly visible and thus become somehow annoying when the goal is to make a
program compile totally free of warnings.

I like what was done with the kernel some time ago. All compiler instruction
outputs were suppressed and replaced by appropriate short information. Now
any warning could catch everbody's eyes even when not especially looking for
them. In my little projects I do something like

%.o: %.c
	@echo "  CC " $<
	@$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c -o $@ $<

$(PROG): $(OBJS)