[MPlayer-dev-eng] Audio CD questions

Ingo Brückl ib at wupperonline.de
Wed Dec 28 22:17:36 CET 2011

Reimar Döffinger wrote on Wed, 28 Dec 2011 15:24:51 +0100:

> On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 03:17:46PM +0100, Ingo Brückl wrote:
>> I wrote on Tue, 20 Dec 2011 17:38:47 +0100:
>>
>> > To summarize:
>>
>> > cdda://      plays the whole CD, reports "number of songs" chapters
>> > cdda://3     plays only song #3, reports 1 chapter
>> > cdda://3-4   plays only songs #3 and #4, reports 2 chapters
>> > cdda://3-3   plays only song #3, but reports "number of songs" chapters
>>
>> > The first three are unchanged and behave like they did prior to my patch.
>>
>> What about the cdda://<n>-<n> "extension". Is it ok to commit?

> I think it is a really bad idea to add such inconsistent behaviour on
> purpose.
> Haven't had time to think of a better solution, though I was wondering
> if you couldn't open cdda:// without starting to play to get the number
> of songs.

There might be ways to figure out the number of songs by either adding a new
STREAM_CTRL command (like STREAM_CTRL_GET_TOTAL_NUM_CHAPTERS or so) or by
determining the number of tracks directly using cdda-calls in the GUI, but
between GUI_PREPARE (setting cdda://<whatever> as filename) and
GUI_SET_STREAM (getting the number of tracks) there is already the
open_stream() call.

Ingo