[MPlayer-dev-eng] Detecting icy info charset

Timur Aydin ta at taydin.org
Wed Aug 17 14:20:27 CEST 2011

Hi,

I am playing shoutcast internet radio stations with mplayer. I modified
the mplayer source so that the icy info is sent to an application over a
udp socket. The application receives the icy info and displays it on the
screen. The problem is, with stations from different countries, it isn't
certain what charset is being used in the icy info strings. Most of the
time it seems to be plain ASCII. But with same stations, UTF-8 is used.
Yet other stations use ISO-8859-1.

How can I detect the encoding being used?

Timur