[MPlayer-dev-eng] The GUI and the configuration files

Ingo Brückl ib at wupperonline.de
Tue Apr 26 09:11:19 CEST 2011

Ivan Kalvachev wrote on Mon, 25 Apr 2011 21:09:02 +0300:

> Saving changes when the corresponding dialog is closed makes a lot of
> sense, e.g. changes won't be lost if gmplayer crashes or is forcibly
> killed.

This would be the same with a save button.

> E.g. in windows "OK" would first apply the changes then exit the dialog.

Isn't that annoying? If you want to check out some options and you then
realize that they don't do what you expected, you'll end up with a totally
messed up config.

> Generally, having a way to reset all gui.conf options to the
> "defaults" would be highly appreciated.

That is a good idea. And a button to reset to the values, gmplayer had when
it started (if anything has changed in the meantime), would overcome the
checking out problem even with only an "OK" button.

> It would be good idea if all gui specific options do start with gui_
> prefix.

Yes, I think so, too.

>> 3. (later) Add all GUI options to its configuration dialog. (And somehow
>>    show which MPlayer settings will (currently, from MPlayer's global
>>    variables) be used if a GUI options remains unset.)

> I'm not sure what this means. I don't care if given option global or
> gui specific. Users should care even less. Do you mean a way to
> indicate options that are not at their default value?

Yes. I'd like to indicate - for example - that stop-xscreensaver is set (*)
and thus will be used by gmplayer, but that it isn't set by the GUI.

(*) because it is in my user config, or maybe - with another option - because
    it's the coded default

Ingo