[MPlayer-dev-eng] The GUI and the configuration files

Ingo Brückl ib at wupperonline.de
Mon Apr 25 14:16:21 CEST 2011

Reimar Döffinger wrote on Mon, 25 Apr 2011 13:26:54 +0200:

>> 1. (now) Don't store settings automatically. Only store them (explicitly) in
>>    the GUI's configuration dialog.

> Though what do you mean by "explicitly"?

I'm thinking of adding a "save" button to "ok" and "cancel" (and asking after
pressing just "ok" whether it should be stored or only used temporarily).
This is how I'd like settings - preserved until I explicitly allow a change.

> It might be more resilient to have flags that indicate which options were
> changed in the config dialog an only write those out, but I don't know if
> the config writing code can do that.

Yes, I was thinking of something like this, too. I'll see what can be done
when sighting the config dialog code.

>> 2. (later) Change gui.conf to use nothing but the same variables as MPlayer.
>>    Add a translation from legacy options to new ones so that the user isn't
>>    affected (too much).

> I think there are some gui settings taht don't make sense as MPlayer
> options (e.g. whether the Gui should use a separate video window).

You are an observant reader. ;-) Of course, options specific to only the GUI
will be excepted.

> I think you'll run over quite a lot of problems/annoyance while trying to
> do it. But you'll notice that yourself.

Yeah, probably. Time will tell how much effort will be appropriate to exactly
put these rough ideas into practice or when it will be time to stop.

Ingo